The world’s biggest musicians, creators, publishers, and brands use Linktree in their marketing strategy. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to build a Linktree as a musician who wants to direct their fans to more content:
Linktree is a free tool that allows you to direct your Instagram followers anywhere you choose. Linktree allows you to create a personalized and easily-customizable page, that houses all the important links you want to share with your audience. It can be used on social platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Twitch, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or LinkedIn. With Linktree you can direct traffic exactly where you need it — be it your website, merch store, a pre-save link, a new podcast or article you’re featured in.
Free or Pro?
Linktree has two tiers – a free version and a paid monthly subscription. The free version includes features like basic theme customization of your profile, and link click statistics (so you can view how many people have clicked your links).
Linktree PRO is $6USD a month and gives you access to many more features, including fully-customizable backgrounds, button colors and styles, social icons and access to features like Leap Links. You can view the full list of PRO features here:
How to make an Instagram link tree with Linktr.ee
Step 1: Create a free account
- Go to linktr.ee/register.
- Go to the Sign Up Free box.
- Click on the Sign up with Instagram box (make sure you are logged into your Instagram on another tab/mobile app).
- LinkTree then gives you to account options – the basic option at $0 a month, or the pro option at $6 USD a month. We suggest trying the free option first.
- Once you’ve selected your plan, it’s time to customize!
Step 2: Add links
- Once you verify your account, you will be able to access your dashboard.
- Click the purple Add New Link button on the home screen to add your first link.
- You will then be able to add a title, a URL and a thumbnail to your link:
- You can upload your own image or choose one from Linktree’s icon library.
And that’s it! Repeat the process until you’ve added all of your links. We suggest 3-5 because anymore than that won’t be clearly viewable from a mobile. As you add links, you will see a preview of your link tree on the right side of the dashboard.
Step 3: Organize your links
- Click on the purple lightning icon to add special links or headers. Headers will help you organize your links by theme or purpose.
- At any point, you can move your links and headers around by clicking on the three vertical dots icon and dragging the element to its new placement.
Step 4: Customize the appearance of your link tree
With all the links in place, it’s time to make your link tree truly yours.
- Start by heading to the Appearance tab in the top menu.
- Here, you can add an image and short description to your link tree page. You can also change your link tree’s theme.
Several free options are available. Pro users can create their own custom themes.
Step 5: Add your link tree to the bio’s of your social handles
You’re all set. Now that you have your custom link tree ready to go, it’s time to add it to your bio’s. We’re using Instagram as an example.
- Simply copy the URL from the top right corner of the dashboard of Linktree.
- Then, head to your Instagram account, click Edit Profile and add the URL to the Website section.
And that’s it! The link will show up in your bio.
Additional Linktree Features For Musicians
Linktree has recently made it easier for musicians and artists to share their latest releases with their fans. A special link known as “Music Link” can be added for fans to stream new music. The way the music link works is simple. When you copy and paste your music URL, Linktree will search through their supported platforms and generate a list of streaming options. The great thing about this is that you no longer have to add each streaming platform individually. In addition, your fans now have free range to choose the streaming service they prefer to listen to your music.
If you have a PRO account, you have even more perks. When looking at your link analytics, you’ll actually have the opportunity to see what streaming platform your fans use the most. This can help you narrow down and target the most popular streaming services.
Follow the steps below to add a music link:
Log in to your Linktree Admin
Click ‘Add New Link’ or click the lightning bolt icon and select ‘Music Link’ and give your Link a ‘Title’
Copy your music link URL and then paste your URL in the URL field
A new music link thumbnail will appear below your link URL
Select ‘Display all streaming services’. If you’d like to link off to the URL you entered, you can select ‘Link off to this URL’
In yet another great update from Linktree, you can now add your Bandsintown profile to your Linktree. Adding your Bandsintown link is incredibly quick and easy to do. By adding Bandsintown, you are alerting your fans and anyone else who clicks on your landing page when you are touring.
Follow these easy steps to add your Bandsintown link:
- Log in to your Linktree Admin
- Click ‘Add New Link’ and give your link a ‘Title’
- Paste your Bandsintown URL into the URL field
- You’ll see a new Bandsintown module appear below your URL
- From here, you can choose to have people ‘Go directly to URL’ to bring them to your Bandsintown page, or you can choose to ‘Display upcoming events from my Bandsintown profile’
- Lastly, you can choose to display your Bandsintown profile picture by switching the toggle on/off
Another great feature that can help you build your email list is using the Form link. This link allows you to collect contact information from fans who wish to get in touch with you. All the information will be sent to your email on file. Your fans can leave their name, number, email address, and even leave you a direct message.
Now, you can also directly add your Shopify store onto Linktree. To add this, just look at your Explore Links tab and search for Shopify. You can display your collections, most popular products, and promotions, all within the click of a button.
Secret Code Link
One of the coolest features added is the ability to create a secret link that requires a code to access. This is great to use for moments when you’re sharing exclusive content with fans who won raffles or contests you put on, for example. The Code Gate allows you to set a 4 digit passcode, where without knowing it people wouldn’t be able to view the content in that link.
To set your code and create a Code Gate to your links, follow the steps below:
Log in to your Linktree Admin
Create your link that you would like to gate
Under the link URL, select the lock icon
From the dropdown options, check off the ‘Code’ option
Enter the 4-digit code that your visitors will need to enter to unlock the link
Provide a short description for the gated link
You are now a Link tree expert! That one link in your bio now does so much more!
Join our newsletter list for more weekly info designed to help musicians navigate their own publicity and social media.