The world’s biggest musicians, creators, publishers and brands use Linktree in their marketing strategy. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to build a Linktree as a musician who wants to direct their fans to more content:
Linktree is a free tool that allows you to direct your Instagram followers anywhere you choose. Linktree allows you to create a personalised and easily-customizable page, that houses all the important links you want to share with your audience. It can be used on social platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Twitch, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or LinkedIn. With Linktree you can direct traffic exactly where you need it — be it your website, merch store, a pre-save link, a new podcast or article you’re featured in.
Free or Pro?
Linktree has two tiers – a free version and a paid monthly subscription. The free version includes features like basic theme customization of your profile, and link click statistics (so you can view how many people have clicked your links).
Linktree PRO is $6USD a month and gives you access to many more features, including fully-customizable backgrounds, button colours and styles, social icons and access to features like Leap Links. You can view the full list of PRO features here:
How to make an Instagram link tree with Linktr.ee
Step 1: Create a free account
- Go to linktr.ee/register
- Go to the Sign Up Free box
- Click on the Sign up with Instagram box (make sure you are logged into your Instagram on another tab/mobile app)
- LinkTree then gives you to account options – the basic option at $0 a month, or the pro option at $6 USD a month. We suggest trying the free option first.
- Once you’ve selected your plan, it’s time to customize!
Step 2: Add links
- Once you verify your account, you will be able to access your dashboard.
- Click the purple Add New Link button on the home screen to add your first link
- You will then be able to add a title, a URL and a thumbnail to your link:
- You can upload your own image or choose one from Linktree’s icon library:
And that’s it! Repeat the process until you’ve added all of your links. We suggest 3-5 because anymore than that won’t be clearly viewable from a mobile. As you add links, you will see a preview of your link tree on the right side of the dashboard.
Step 3: Organize your links
- Click on the purple lightning icon to add special links or headers. Headers will help you organize your links by theme or purpose.
- At any point, you can move your links and headers around by clicking on the three vertical dots icon and dragging the element to its new placement.
Step 4: Customize the appearance of your link tree
With all the links in place, it’s time to make your link tree truly yours.
- Start by heading to the Appearance tab in the top menu.
- Here, you can add an image and short description to your link tree page. You can also change your link tree’s theme.
Several free options are available. Pro users can create their own custom themes.
Step 5: Add your link tree to the bio’s of your social handles
You’re all set. Now that you have your custom link tree ready to go, it’s time to add it to your bio’s. We’re using Instagram as an example
- Simply copy the URL from the top right corner of the dashboard of Linktree.
- Then, head to your Instagram account, click Edit Profile and add the URL to the Website section.
- edit profile and add URL to website section
- And that’s it! The link will show up in your bio.
You are now a Link tree expert! That one link in your bio now does so much more!
Join our newsletter list for more weekly info designed to help musicians navigate their own publicity and social media.