Women in Music is the industry’s leading non-profit working toward gender equity. Founded in 1985, WIM is now fueled by 100+ volunteers working daily to serve thousands worldwide, with chapters from LA to India. In this episode of the Cyber PR Music Podcast I spoke to WIM’s president Nicole Barsalona about their rich history and what they have in store for 2020.
This year will be one of the most significant yet.
LISTEN TO THE CYBER PR MUSIC PODCAST HERE: APPLE PODCASTS | YOUTUBE | SPOTIFY
Women in Music is the industry’s leading non-profit working toward gender equity. Founded in 1985, WIM is now fueled by 100+ volunteers working daily to serve thousands worldwide, with chapters from LA to India. In this episode I spoke to WIM’s president Nicole Barsalona about their rich history and what they have in store for 2020. This year will be one of the most significant yet.
In this episode Nicole and I discuss:
- WIM’S history – it was founded in 1985 and up until 5 years ago was only based in New York City. It is now a global organization with over seven thousand members
- How to join, the benefits you will receive as a WIM member (the best $75 you will spend each year for your music career) and how to take advantage of their active Google group and the new private member portal. How to join a volunteer team and be a contribution to other women in the business
- WIM’S global reach – there are now chapters all over the world – throughout Europe, India, Japan, and South America with additional chapters coming in 2020.
- A breakdown of the 3 major initiatives for 2020
- WIM Mentorship – Finding and building a relationship with a mentor is often cited as the most impactful resource a woman can have to propel her career. Unfortunately, there are more women who wish to be mentored than there are mentors available. “WIMentorship” is WIM’s answer to this problem and this initiative will connect 250 members with mentors in 2020 with their Secret Deodorant partnership.
- Diversity & Inclusion Council – “Our goal in creating the Diversity & Inclusion Council at Women In Music is to make sure we are being intentional in all of our work, and to meet the needs of underrepresented groups that too often go unaddressed under the larger gender equity umbrella,” Nicole Barsalona, president of Women In Music, said in a statement. “We want to open up the conversation in a real and impactful way — for women of color, for the LGBTQ community, for our male allies, and more — to create a safer, more inclusive and more equitable music industry for all.” – From The Wrap
- Women in Music Workplace Initiative – WIM member Monika Tashman, and partner at entertainment law firm Manatt is developing this initiative which will identify the best music companies for women. It aims to raise gender diversity and equality standards in the industry. And Monika was named one of Billboard’s 2019 Women in Music as a top executive exemplifying the quality of fantastic women in WIM’s network.
- WIM Is also for men! We have many men in our community and always welcome more. If you are a man in the industry interested in how you can support more women consider joining!
Connect with Women In Music
Links and other WIM News Mentioned:
Work With Me:
Other Ways I Can Help:
1) Subscribe to my podcast – The Cyber PR Music Podcast
2) Check out my newest ebook Social Media Tuneup to walk yourself how to effectively ratchet up your social media presence across all channels
3) Order my bestselling book CROWDSTART a step-by-step guide to a successful 30-day crowdfunding campaign. Available on Amazon
3) Learn in one of my LABS masterclasses – there are 12 to choose from and they focus in on areas you may want to hone in on including: Supercharge Your PR, Release Music With Ease, and Getting Sponsored.
5) Join the Cyber PR Music Newsletter and get my FREE Music Marketing Checksheet