A powerful and effective way to get your own PR spinning is by creating your very own YouTube or Facebook Premiere. Getting a premiere on a music blog is a great way to launch a new single, but they are harder and harder to get nowadays. If you are not experienced in garnering your own PR, they can be more trouble than they are worth.
One of the most unique ways that an independent artist can spin their own PR wheels comes from Facebook and YouTube with their PREMIERE features. When Facebook first announced that their premiere feature would become available to all users, YouTube quickly responded by adding their own version of the feature. This is great for you if you have a solid following on either platform, because all you need to do is schedule one.
So, what are these YouTube and Facebook premiere features? How can they act as part of the independent artist’s self-promotional toolkit? Simple. The premiere feature gives users almost all of the benefits of going live, without the requirement of being present. In other words, you can pre-record and schedule them and go about your life! But, we suggest you hang around the social channel of choice as there will be a live chat to participate in on premiere day.
What do you get out of these premiere features? (A whole lot, and all these benefits are free.)
- When they set a reminder, fans and subscribers get a notification for your premiere ahead of time, increasing the reach of the content that you choose to premiere.
- The ability to interact with fans in real time! This changes the game for reaching your audience and causes a flurry of activity.
- Both platforms allow you to tease your audience with shareable watch pages! This can potentially raise the number.
- Users get a countdown clock before the video goes live, and videos being broadcasted live will get a special “Premiere badge.”
Premiering a video allows artists to generate buzz around an upcoming album release BEFORE actually releasing anything. Above all, setting up a premiere on either platform is EASY, and takes almost no time.
Here’s How to Set Up a YouTube Premiere:
- Click to upload a video to YouTube.
- Select the file you would like to upload for your Premiere.
- Fill in all of the information (i.e. – Title, Description, Keywords, Location, etc.)
- Click next and go through the normal process of uploading and optimizing your video.
- When you get to the Visibility tab, choose “Schedule” – pick the time and day you’d like, and then click the “Set as Premiere” checkbox.
- Upload the video – while it is uploading, select the Premiere button, and enter your desired publishing date and time.
- Click “Schedule” and wait for the video to process!
Here’s How to Set Up a Facebook Premiere:
- In Facebook’s Creator Studio, make sure you have the correct Page selected from the dropdown bar.
- From the “Create Post” dropdown bar, click “Upload Video”
- Select the video that you want to premiere, and give it a Title and Description.
- On the next page, click “Premiere”
- Enter your desired start time, and….
- Click “Publish” – all done!
However, remember that Facebook has some restrictions on content that can be published using the premiere option, which can be found on Facebook here. Also keep in mind that you should have a decent following on Facebook before you launch a Facebook Premiere.
Altogether, the YouTube and Facebook premiere features are excellent ways of boosting audience engagement and allowing your music to reach the ears it is intended for. Please let us know if you are planning one – we’d love to see what you come up with.
Premieres are just one teeny part of the puzzle when it comes to planning your PR. Come to download our Music Publicity Checksheet to walk yourself through the best practices and tasks for music publicity.