Ariel Hyatt Interviews Cheryl B. Englehardt
Email newsletters and email nurture series are not the sexiest part of your strategy, however, they are one of the most crucial. Whenever you see an artist who has managed to raise a lot of money with crowdfunding or Patreon the reason is always that they have an active email list.
Many times when I ask artists about their newsletter strategy they slump into their chairs and look at me side-eyed. I get it, email kinda sucks – that is until you realize how powerful they are.
The foremost expert in our space for this subject is Cheryl B Engelhardt who is also the teacher of LAB 4 which is called Level Up Your Email Game.
A note about this interview – Cheryl repeatedly says “don’t send a newsletter” what she means by this is don’t bore your audience (think how many times you have received an email with the subject line “November Newsletter” or “Insert Artist Name – Monthly Newsletter” You still should send emails regularly and consistently and as she says – take them on a journey.
To read more about this read: The Musician’s Guide To Building A Massive Email List
1. Tell us a little about yourself and why you love working with artists
2. What is the ONE email service artists should use if they don’t have a list yet to start?
3. Can you give your favorite tip for how to grow an email list if artists are not touring?
4. What is the difference between a short-term and long-term email plan, and how is the content going to be different between plans?
5. How large of a following should an artist have before they start sending out emails?
6. What is the BIGGEST benefit of having an email list outside of being able to communicate with fans?
7. How often should an artist be activating their mailing list?
8. What is the secret to getting your mailing list to respond and, maybe, even look forward to your newsletter?
9. How can independent artists transform a newsletter into a real way of making money?
Ariel note: you still do need to understand the science of email and how and what to include in yours.
10. How can someone starting an email newsletter overcome any anxiety about “bothering” their fans?
11. What tools or platforms are most useful for managing an email list?
To join Cheryl and Ariel in LAB 4 – Level Up Your Email game click here or on the image below: